Forums
New constitution - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Chess Scotland Forum (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: New constitution (/thread-1257.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Re: New constitution - Jim Webster - 12-07-2015

Derek Howie Wrote:So the meeting will not be run by those on the CWP?
in an earlier post Andy Howie Wrote:The notice was to clarify a question that was asked earlier, is it CWP or CS who will be running the SGM. It is CS,
I think this question was answered before it was asked.

Quote:Extracts from the constitution
14 Special General Meeting (SGM)
14.1 A Special General Meeting may be called for the purpose of amending this Constitution on the initiative of the President and Executive Director, Council or the Management Board.

15 Conduct of Meetings
15.1 The Chairman of all general meetings, Council and Management Board shall normally be the President, and in his or her absence the meeting shall choose its own Chairman by simple majority vote.
Derek Howie Wrote:So who called the SGM?
Considering the above, I don't see what is unclear.

Re: New constitution - Jim Webster - 12-07-2015

Quote:Agenda for the SGM of Chess Scotland to be held at 10.30h on 14th July,2015

Motion - To accept and adopt from the 2015 AGM forward, the Constitution 2015, as developed by the Constitution Working Party and presented to Council for review including any amendments passed at the SGM.

Order of Business

Item 1. Introduction by Hamish Glen, President, Chess Scotland
Item 2. Consideration of Sections of the Proposed New Constitution with no proposed amendments
Item 3. Consideration of Sections of the Proposed New Constitution with proposed amendments
Item 4. Next Steps

Posted on behalf of Hamish Glen and Andy Howie

Please don't try to shoot the messenger this time :-ss

Re: New constitution - StevieHilton - 13-07-2015

Jim I can't shoot you, I'm blind as a bat Big Grin
I am unhappy still at the lack of information in regards to the structure of CS, that information is vital to help members make an informed decision.

Re: New constitution - WBuchanan - 13-07-2015

Jim Webster Wrote:
Quote:Agenda for the SGM of Chess Scotland to be held at 10.30h on 14th July,2015

Motion - To accept and adopt from the 2015 AGM forward, the Constitution 2015, as developed by the Constitution Working Party and presented to Council for review including any amendments passed at the SGM.

Order of Business

Item 1. Introduction by Hamish Glen, President, Chess Scotland
Item 2. Consideration of Sections of the Proposed New Constitution with no proposed amendments
Item 3. Consideration of Sections of the Proposed New Constitution with proposed amendments
Item 4. Next Steps

Posted on behalf of Hamish Glen and Andy Howie

Thanks Jim. Where does the voting fit in here?

Specifically, for sections with more than one amendment proposed, are:

1) amendments voted on seperately until one emerges, then the emergent one voted against the constitutional proposal?

or are

2) the constitutional proposal and amendments voted on together with the one with the most votes becoming the consitutional proposal?

After the sections votes, Is there then a vote on the constitution as a whole?

Cheers
Walter

Re: New constitution - Jim Webster - 13-07-2015

Hi Walter,

The SGM is run by CS, not the CWP. I will however forward on the queries you have raised.

Re: New constitution - Derek Howie - 13-07-2015

Jim Webster Wrote:
Derek Howie Wrote:So the meeting will not be run by those on the CWP?
in an earlier post Andy Howie Wrote:The notice was to clarify a question that was asked earlier, is it CWP or CS who will be running the SGM. It is CS,
I think this question was answered before it was asked.

So the people running the meeting are NOT on the CWP?

Jim Webster Wrote:Extracts from the constitution
14 Special General Meeting (SGM)
14.1 A Special General Meeting may be called for the purpose of amending this Constitution on the initiative of the President and Executive Director, Council or the Management Board.

15 Conduct of Meetings
15.1 The Chairman of all general meetings, Council and Management Board shall normally be the President, and in his or her absence the meeting shall choose its own Chairman by simple majority vote.
Derek Howie Wrote:So who called the SGM?
Considering the above, I don't see what is unclear.

You didn't answer the question. Who called the SGM?

Assuming it was the President and Executive Director, they allowed the CWP to decide on the date of the SGM, according to the Executive Director, rather than making the decision themselves in their executive positions, so it seems that they are unable to separate their roles.

Would it not make more sense for the meeting to be ran by someone independent of the CWP?

Re: New constitution - WBuchanan - 13-07-2015

Jim Webster Wrote:Hi Walter,

The SGM is run by CS, not the CWP. I will however forward on the queries you have raised.

No reply...but thanks anyway Jim - I only asked you because you had been posting on behalf of Hamish and Andy.

I appreciate you're trying to help, but presumably not getting any reply though I've been asking this for days
Sad

Re: New constitution - Mike Scott - 14-07-2015

Quote:You didn't answer the question. Who called the SGM?

Assuming it was the President and Executive Director, they allowed the CWP to decide on the date of the SGM, according to the Executive Director, rather than making the decision themselves in their executive positions, so it seems that they are unable to separate their roles.

Would it not make more sense for the meeting to be ran by someone independent of the CWP?

I am not sure I understand the significance of your question?

Re: New constitution - Derek Howie - 14-07-2015

Mike Scott Wrote:
Quote:You didn't answer the question. Who called the SGM?

I am not sure I understand the significance of your question?

Whoever is running the meeting should be neutral in respect of the proposed constitution and proposed amendments and what gets adopted or not.

That is clearly not the case given:
- those running the meeting are on the CWP,
- the CWP decided on the date and time of the meeting, meaning those working or are on holiday can't attend.
- those who decided to give less than 24 hours between the publishing of the amendments and the deadline for proxies are on the CWP.

The CWP have already considered and rejected some of the proposals and therefore are not neutral on them, and will likely be arguing against them, whereas the likes of myself are unable to attend to argue for them.

It just seems to me that everything is being stacked one way and the whole thing is now been rushed.

Re: New constitution - robin moore - 14-07-2015

Quote: the CWP decided on the date and time of the meeting, meaning those working or are on holiday can't attend.

It's wrong to assume that the vast majority of CS members work 9-5 Monday to Friday and have to take holidays in July.
There is a good number (75) of CS members playing in the Scottish Championships, most of whom hopefully can attend.