Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scotsman Chess Columns Axed!?
The most obvious response is to point out that chess playing Scotsman readers may now turn in their droves to the paper's direct English competitors carrying chess ... Telegraph and Times (plus Independent) ... and that lot most certainly don't speak with a Scottish voice or provide any serious Scottish chess coverage (not even in their so-called 'Scottish' editions).

Equally important ... give a sense that chess is 'alive' and means something 'nationally' (i.e. primarily Scottish nationally) ... see my earlier post today for some obvious examples.

Also worth stressing is whether you like or dislike the actual product ... and if the latter especially, say why, suggest an appropriate re-design that might better appeal to the modern reader in the digital age, particularly SCOTTISH readers (see again my earlier post today ... for a few basic ideas).

I write a fairly new chess column in the (excellent) glossy county lifestyle magazine, 'East Lothian Life' ... ironically the Bridge correspondent in that mag is the now ex-Scotsman Bridge correspondent ... So there's still life in the old game, even in the Scottish print media.

Almost any old complaint that's not just plain offensive will count ... as all papers want to please their readers, of course!

Messages In This Thread