Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Team Chess Championships
Another tough day on the 64 squares, with a disappointing loss to Austria.

Steve defended well against a strong attack and seemed to have some drawing chances in the endgame which ensued but it wasn't to be. Steve has led very well from the front against a ridiculously strong series of opponents and will hopefully get on the scoreboard before the end.

Graham's position turned into a bit of a tactical minefield against the 2 bishops of his opponent and he missed a nice defensive trick which we had fun analysing afterwards with the Austrian captain, the legendary Zoltan Ribli from Hungary.

I'm just not playing accurately enough at the decisive moments in my games and yesterday was a good example, my opponent able to turn his slight initiative into a full-blown attack on my uncastled king.

Alan saved the team from a whitewash with a solidly played game where he might have tried for more at some point.

Today sees us take on Jacob Aagaard's Denmark team, another tough pairing. Jacob can be found reading novels for hours on end in his captain's chair - he seems very relaxed in this kind of environment so I'm glad he's not playing against us!

Three rounds to go and our aim is to hopefully leapfrog one or two of the weaker teams before Sunday's finish.

Messages In This Thread