Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympiad Goals
correct me if I'm wrong but in every sport there are "meets" or gatherings where being picked for international duty is the main focus, e.g swimming. I also believe we have a relatively small pool available primarily due to lack of finances therefore we need to get some sort of financial package in place. I also believe the main reason GB did so well in the recent Olympics was directly due to the massive funding injected by the lottery. Prior to this injection sport in the UK suffered just as much as our chess. Look at the example of Australia as well when they put funding in, they became world beaters in four years, particularly in (again) swimming.

The three pillars we need to use are organisation, money and support. CS management committee are all working together to get this moving but we can never get enough support so all volunteers welcome. As always with any matter regarding chess my door is always open. BTW I think our team did very well at the Olympiad and the backroom staff such as the Andy B did their bit. Ok there were disappointments at times but so what, we didn't do too badly did we?

Personally as already indicated we need to address our goals for future participation and categorise them. We also need to ensure our players are given the best possible support before, during and after the event. This responsibility falls to the International Director and he needs and deserves all our support

Messages In This Thread