Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECF conversion?
I have competed at Blackpool in 3 of the last 4 years, and posted my entry for this year last night.

Phil I would say, where did you find accommodation at £15 a night? I am returning to digs at £23 a night, including a good breakfast. By the way, this is cheaper than any equivalent accommodation I have been able to get anywhere in Scotland over the last 5 years. Being over 60 has the small benefit of a 'senior Railcard'. With that, and advance booking, travel is only £22 return (as opposed to £65 single on the day), making Blackpool just about affordable for me.

Robin, I think you are being more than a little over-sensitive. The new rules are somewhat more extensive than you quoted, and are NOT aimed at Scots (or other foreigners for that matter).

"Grading history and other sources may be used to place a player in a higher section.
Players without a current grade must give their last published grade and the year of
publication. Failure to disclose will result in disqualification.
Adult players (over 18 years of age) without a grade/history may only enter the Open
section. Ungraded Juniors must give a full indication of their strength."

This is more accurately aimed at ensuring that the 2012 mishap does not recur. Owing to some sort of administration mix-up, an ungraded player was allowed to enter the Minor (U 115) event. He won with a score of 5/5. It emerged that he had been graded at 150 some 10 years previously, and should not have been eligible to enter the Minor. The prize money was withheld. (Needless to say, I was annoyed by the sandbagging as I play in that section.)

The player then took the organisers to the small claims court, and won. The rules at that time were insufficient in law to justify his exclusion. The new regulations are an attempt to ensure that such an embarrassing (for the organisers) event does not happen again.

Messages In This Thread