Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptops for chess/writing etc.
Quote:One of the problems with using Windows 7 is that "mainstream support" ends 13th. Jan 2015. and only "Extended Support" will be available after that (until 14/01/2020).

Jim, I use Win 8.1 and agree it is good. However, a lot of people are just getting round to replacing XP computers after support ended April 2014!

For someone upgrading from XP - and likely missed out Vista & Win7 - the jump straight to Win8 may present an interface change they are not expecting :-o

I don't understand how Win7 support ending in 2020 makes that "one of the problems" and I would be surprised if the laptop lasts those six years!

The current breed of Win7 downgrade laptops includes a DVD to upgrade to Win8 should you wish to anyway - so you get the best of both worlds.

Personally, I would not say it's "far better to go with the latest version of Windows" in every case.
I would suggest paying a visit to one of the shops which display laptops and have a look & feel at the interface first. If you are willing to spend a little more on a touch screen model then you might agree Win8 comes to life with that hardware.
If you just want it to "do the job" then I would seriously consider opting for Win7: compatible with almost everything / no learning curve and rock solid stability.

The choice is yours :ymblushing:

Messages In This Thread