Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wester Hailes Junior Congress
The Wester Hailes Junior Congress, organised by Lothian Junior Chess, is being held 23rd Nov. at the WH Education Centre. For those who have never been before this is a really convenient location for those based outside of Edinburgh as it is just minutes from the Hermiston Gait and the end of the M8.

Further details can be found on the Lothian Junior Chess web site:-
http://www.lothianjuniorchess.org.uk
Lothian Junior Chess are pleased to be able to announce that it will be allowing free entry for players from low income families. Please see the event entry form for more details.

Mike Scott Wrote:Lothian Junior Chess are pleased to be able to announce that it will be allowing free entry for players from low income families. Please see the event entry form for more details.

Well done! Smile
Yes indeed! Both the Lothians junior (discount up to free entry) and the NEJCA (normally £4 and £2 for siblings) tournaments are excellently organised and outstanding value for money.

Keep up the great work.
That's true Robin but I wouldn't like your post to be interpreted that Hamilton Junior Chess, Scottish Junior Chess and others do not similarly provide excellent organisation and value. I've been attending their events now with kids for 10 years or more and know this to be the case. Yes, they are a couple of quid more expensive to enter but you need to factor in prizes, level of competition, levels of enjoyment etc to calculate comparative value and that's not easy to do.
harrymarron Wrote:That's true Robin but I wouldn't like your post to be interpreted that Hamilton Junior Chess, Scottish Junior Chess and others do not similarly provide excellent organisation and value. I've been attending their events now with kids for 10 years or more and know this to be the case. Yes, they are a couple of quid more expensive to enter but you need to factor in prizes, level of competition, levels of enjoyment etc to calculate comparative value and that's not easy to do.

i think it would be very churlish and take a great stretch of imagination to interpret Robins post as a criticism of any organisation.
No criticism of any organisation intended. Just to say I think Harry is doing a fantastic job at Lenzie chess academy and the results speak for themselves.
Patrick McGovern Wrote:
harrymarron Wrote:That's true Robin but I wouldn't like your post to be interpreted that Hamilton Junior Chess, Scottish Junior Chess and others do not similarly provide excellent organisation and value. I've been attending their events now with kids for 10 years or more and know this to be the case. Yes, they are a couple of quid more expensive to enter but you need to factor in prizes, level of competition, levels of enjoyment etc to calculate comparative value and that's not easy to do.

i think it would be very churlish and take a great stretch of imagination to interpret Robins post as a criticism of any organisation.

The words "Robin" and "criticism" in the same sentence. Unheard of Mr McGovern.

Harry was too modest to mention both himself and the next junior congress he’s running on November 29th in Bishopbriggs. If that’s run to the standard of his previous junior competitions it will be a superbly run event. Well worth travelling a long way to attend
Phil Thomas wrote..

Quote: If that’s run to the standard of his previous junior competitions it will be a superbly run event.

Would I be correct in saying that last year's event in November was run by Chess for Kicks, the organisation ran by Phil Thomas (amongst others)?
robin moore Wrote:Phil Thomas wrote..

Quote: If that’s run to the standard of his previous junior competitions it will be a superbly run event.

Would I be correct in saying that last year's event in November was run by Chess for Kicks, the organisation ran by Phil Thomas (amongst others)?

No not so. The Lenzie event will again be run under the directorship of Harry Marron. Which arbiters he recruits for the day is up to him

Same situation applies to NEJCA CFK qualifiers.

PS
Chess for Kicks is a competition not an organisation.