Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New constitution
Can someone please explain to me why the meeting is on a Tuesday morning? Surely it is in Chess Scotland's best interest to have as many members as possible attending such an important meeting? Holding it on a Tuesday, which is a working day for most, will prohibit many members from attending.
Linda McCusker Wrote:Surely it is in Chess Scotland's best interest to have as many members as possible attending such an important meeting?

My personal view is:

It is being held during the Scottish Championships where nearly 60 'SCO' members are registered to play, not including any visitors. This potentially makes it the largest target audience in one place than have attended AGM's in the recent past.
- Not all will attend of course.
Why not hold the meeting in the evening in Edinburgh when in addition to the CS members playing in the Scottish those working that day would have the option of travelling into Edinburgh for an evening meeting.

From what I see on the web site this should not be a long meeting - there is only one motion to be voted on.
Not everyone works 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. Now that the date and time has been announced (and some folks have already made plans to attend) it would be unfair to reschedule it.
Phil Thomas Wrote:From what I see on the web site this should not be a long meeting - there is only one motion to be voted on.

I cant see that being a quick discussion. The proposed constitution has so many points for discussion it will take some time to go through it. If the motion is it to be passed en block then most people would find a stumbling point and would probably vote against it. The only people probably at the meeting will be organisers and players already at the Scottish (disproportionate section of the chess community) and will not include the workforce like myself who be running about stupid the day after fair Monday. I personally agree the meeting should be in the evening where there is ample parking and ideally not during the holiday season.
Ianbrownlee Wrote:
Phil Thomas Wrote:From what I see on the web site this should not be a long meeting - there is only one motion to be voted on.

I cant see that being a quick discussion. The proposed constitution has so many points for discussion it will take some time to go through it. If the motion is it to be passed en block then most people would find a stumbling point and would probably vote against it. The only people probably at the meeting will be organisers and players already at the Scottish (disproportionate section of the chess community) and will not include the workforce like myself who be running about stupid the day after fair Monday. I personally agree the meeting should be in the evening where there is ample parking and ideally not during the holiday season.

Totally agree.

What is this new constitution bringing us?

- Juniors no longer have a vote
- Grandfather rule that has been rejected
- More Directors when we can't even fill the posts that we have with capable people
- Admin Director?
- No consultation for the members on this
- Date and time of the SGM that most people can't get to
- You have to be a member longer than 2 weeks to be allowed to vote.

Why is this not being brought in for 2016? There is no need to rush this in for 2015, the world not about to end. As Andy has suggested, this could have (and should have been) voted on at the AGM.

Why, as Phil has said, are there no job descriptions? This means you have a set of Directors who are in post but don't actually have anything to tell them what the job actually is! Are they supposed to sit on their hands for a year or just make it up as they go along?

I am sorry to say it but we have to vote this constitution down. There are holes in it that you can drive a bus through and it is not fit for purpose. There has not been sufficient time for members to look at this and discuss changes. It has the feeling of having being rushed (which is odd given it is nearly 3 years in the making). It begs the question, why are they trying to force this through?

I would suggest that we consider a counter motion at the SGM. I don't know how you can get that onto the paper, that is for people wiser than me. The motion I would suggest is "That there should be a series of meetings carried out in various locations in Scotland to allow the membership to suggest amendments to the proposed constitution. The amended constitution, standing orders and job descriptions to be voted on at an SGM at a suitable time by next June to bring into force at the AGM in 2016". Do I need to get 10 members to agree to this to get this added?
I am moving this discussion to the public section of the noticeboard. Not all members are members of the noticeboard. With that in mind, we will moderate this thread more strictly as it is on public view. Comments so far have been fine. Please keep it that way Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Quite a few questions asked. Will answer as best as I can but these are my personal views.

Andy Mc - Chess Scotland is run by the members, who express themselves at the AGM. The AGM is sovereign. Under the AGM we have Council and under that we have the Directors (not the other way around!). Council members were invited by Hamish to a meeting, shown the Constitution and allowed to comment. This nearly three week period is for Members to express their views

Linda et al, I agree, timing is pretty poor. Tuesday morning for people who work, they are just not going to be able to get here. If this is to be brought in for the 2015 AGM, then it has to be done before the announcement goes out (it is going to overlap by a few days). Members have to be given 2 weeks notice which would force it onto the first weekend of the Scottish. With the games being incremental (and this answers Phils question as well), it is impossible to predict what time in the evening to start the meeting. The Saturday is out as we are going to be setting up the Scottish. That leaves the Sunday morning. Public transport in Edinburgh on a Sunday morning makes it pretty hard for anyone to get there.

Robin, Good example, that is exactly why I think it should be included. It is not a simple matter for English GMs to switch federation (we have to agree to it for a start) and I don't think there is going to be a mass exodus from the ECF to Scotland. There is no guarantee that the selectors will select them even if they did!

Ian, I agree I don't think it will be a short meeting and given some of the points that have been raised both here and to me privately, I am concerned that we will have enough time!

Jim, I can't see too many players coming along when they are preparing for a 7 hour game later in the day. I hope to be proven wrong!

Tommy, Hard to answer what you are saying mainly as I have a stance of neutrality when it comes to meetings. Not sure I am comfortable giving my personal opinion on this. I have already had proxies in despite the notice only having been up for 24 hours. Contrary to popular belief, I do not reveal the voting intentions until the meeting itself. That would be completely unfair to both sides of the argument. This is down to the members to decide and nothing I do should influence that. That would plainly be wrong. On your counter motion, if there was a take up on that, then I honestly do not know and would have to take advice on that. I suspect if 10 members agreed to it we would have to add it (as they could force an SGM) but I would have to confer with the others on the Exec on that.

I will try to answer any points that come in, but please remember I am not Cortana!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Apologies, I did not have the permissions set correctly for this section. Thanks to the people who contacted me to warn me they could not post. Should be fixed now :ymblushing:
Andy Howie Wrote:That leaves the Sunday morning. Public transport in Edinburgh on a Sunday morning makes it pretty hard for anyone to get there.

How many attend by public transport as opposed to by car?
Having it on a Tuesday at 1030 pretty much excludes anyone with private transport due to the exorbitant cost of parking in Edinburgh assuming that is you can find a spot. At least on a Sunday you are outside the 0800-1800 Mon-Sat parking restrictions.