Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria
Appreciate your willingness to reply AndyB...

"The 'Keti what if' argument to me is a red herring - highly inactive players are just that, although their presence could still be very useful as a coach/non-playing captain. "

Your imminent requirement is not aimed at just "highly inactive players" though - only highly active will get in, a bit different!

You add that "Experience counts for a lot."

As you are actually proposing it counts for nothing towards what the players actually want, this would appear to be the red herring.

"The fact that several people may disagree doesn't mean that others don't agree. If there were to be an AGM vote on every aspect of the work I and others do in our roles it would be ridiculous."

I think the idea is that there is normally an AGM proposal on what's considered most important or most contentious and this will have ramifications. What is the point of the AGM if such important matters can just bypass it?

"Ultimately, if the things I do are hugely unpopular or detrimental to chess in Scotland, I'll be voted out of office! "

The democratic card? Hey, I already played that Smile But Andy, you weren't voted into office on such a ticket, though. We saw no plans, and the rule even seemed to be bent to allow your last-minute inclusion as a candidate at the AGM. If you don't have clear reason to believe you have support of the members on this issue, then from the point of view of democracy (transparency, etc, the things you used to complain about before you took office) I think you should be consulting them.

My complaint is about the lack of consultation. In terms of the issue, I agree we probably should try to get more chess from the top players for the sake of the Olympiad team - but we should not try to hold back the places as bargaining chips against the top players in order to advance other agendas especially as the benefit to the Olympiad is not clear.

As I said, CS would do well to organize a debate on this and be seen to listen. What is the Olympiad team for - does CS management simply own it, or own the rights to it?

Best
Walter

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria - by WBuchanan - 11-09-2017, 11:02 PM