Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria
It always sounds like a good idea that the Champion should make the Scottish team.

However, the Scottish Champion having a place in a Scottish team will have consequences.

The Olympiad is normally held in September/October.  The Scottish is held in July.  Does this mean that a place has to be left unfilled when the initial selections are made?  Should the Scottish move to a different date to accommodate one player's selection?

If the previous year's Champion is given a place should that be withdrawn if the player becomes inactive?

Also will a player be able to get time off work for the Scottish and the Olympiad if they are held close together?

In terms of qualifying for the European Championship then it is almost a poisoned chalice as little or no financial support is given.  I doubt if this potential invitation would attract many players to the Scottish.

If the Scottish is to be used as a qualifying event then, in my opinion, it should be a closed event.  This is not financially feasible.  It would also potentially mean that the number of title norm events held in Scotland would be reduced to 0.  To clarify, a ten player all-play-all for the Championship title might not have the 5 titled players necessary for norm chances as it would rely on players competing totally at their own expense.  Without the Scottish titled players an Open held alongside would also not have the titled players available to make norm chances viable.

My feeling is that when considered fully the idea of giving this award to the Scottish Champion would actually be counter-productive and detrimental to chess in Scotland in general.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria - by Alex McFarlane - 12-09-2017, 01:27 PM