Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria
(15-09-2017, 10:07 AM)Matthew Turner Wrote: Andy, 
I think this is relatively simple.  Walter is trying to get the strongest possible team to represent Scotland at the next Olympiad.  You are effectively trying to get the strongest possible team in ten years time.  I think it is important that people recognise that distinction and understand that those noble aims are often in conflict.  I hope people see the sense in your argument.

Wow, what a thread this is! Matt's post above is an important one, its the reason behind my support for this proposal.

My two cents for what they are worth as one of the many wood pushers who won't be challenging for international honours.

Representing your country should be a privilege and represent the pinnacle of hard work and dedication to the game. To this end, Andy B's number of games requirement seems too tame to me. Although it is definitely the right way to go. Its also common place in other sports for there to be an activity requirement (in one form or another) in order to be considered for selection.

That said, I have some sympathy with the arguments if someone has a legitimate reason for perceived inactivity - ie family member is ill etc. and in these circumstances I feel there should be wiggle room or selectors should be able to apply common sense. Is waiting for the next cycle too punitive in extenuating circumstances? I feel it probably is although its entirely subjective. I still support what you are proposing Andy, on balance, even as is its better than where we currently are.

Andrew Green made a good point regarding top juniors not knowing who our top players are. I think this demonstrates the real disconnect at the moment. Its also true for adult players too, other than Roddy & Steve, I can't recall the last titled player I saw at a tournament. Admittedly, I don't go to as many these days so probably not representative. Confused

Another couple of points:
1) I'm fed up of measuring our success by achieving seeding we should be targeting to exceed seeding. I also love the irony that Andy M measures the Olympiad team by seedeing but consistently lambasts the Glorney team for performing to seeding. Angel

2) Given CS's financial position anyone seeking an appearance fee to play for their country should not be selected. For the record - travel & expenses is totally acceptable.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria - by David Deary - 16-09-2017, 08:47 AM