Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria
JIMG writes:
"My opinion is that competitive activities ...prosper when there is an effective pyramid structure which moves players through the ranks from junior elite to elite. Support at different levels (financial, training etc) is required and especially at the top level. A lack of funding has led to reduced activity at elite level and promising players reducing their ambitions in their teens and 20s. Too many are giving up!"
And then
“As I understand it, top Scottish players primarily assess participation a) financially, b) strength of opposition and c) potential achievement (titles etc). Non-participation suggests that current Scottish events are unattractive for them. So rather than try to resolve that issue the rule says "play in unattractive events within this window or you won't be eligible for selection". There must be a better way!”

I think these points get to the heart of the matter. For example, how many events are there in the CS calendar with (a) a classical time control, (b) are within a 50 mile radius of the capital city and © are open to players rated 2000+? I see a few SNCL Sundays and the Edinburgh Congress each Easter. It's hardly a wealth of opportunity.

As Jonathan says, it probably would only make more sense to make such a shift in international selection policy if it is done within a broader program that also takes into account the events framework that exist in the country.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria - by George Neave - 27-09-2017, 03:19 PM