Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria
"For example, how many events are there in the CS calendar with (a) a classical time control, (b) are within a 50 mile radius of the capital city and © are open to players rated 2000+? I see a few SNCL Sundays and the Edinburgh Congress each Easter. It's hardly a wealth of opportunity."

I agree with this but to add a few to your event list, Chess Scotland organise and run: Scottish Championship, Richardson and McIsaac events.  Mind you these hardly fill the calendar.

The remaining calendar events are the domains of the various Congress Organisers. One of the biggest obstacles to having classic time controls is access to premises for these longer playing schedules and the cost associated with these longer rental periods. Many also don't want 2 such games per day.  

There are other events such as Jersey(April) and Guernsey(October) but even then you are looking at 500 - 600 pounds per event for travel and accommodation. It is considerably cheaper than the more formal FIDE events mind you where you are looking at double these costs.

PS:
Advert time - don't forget this year that the Richardson is playing under the new rules following the review!  I'll send a copy to each club that registers just to make sure they know them and before the 1st round. These rules will be updated on the website as well, once formalised by the Rules Committee.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria - by Jim Webster - 27-09-2017, 07:52 PM