Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria
Hi Andy,

You could play 2 Czech events for £500 if you plan it well, as the Czech Tour runs events in pairs (1st event finishes Saturday, next event begins Sunday). I usually do this if at all possible - time constraints on 'normal working people' might make it impossible for them!

Roughly speaking:
£100 return flights to Prague
£300 accommodation (I always book my own accommodation, although the organisers offer 2 types of accommodation to suit your budget (with reduced entry fee). The cheap one is often quite horrendous in my experience!
Free entry for IM/GM (quite cheap for others too)
£100 for food/drink (Czech is generally cheap)

For 1 event only you obviously save money on hotel/entry fees, so £300 is enough if you don't mind B&B/reasonable cheap hotel. Booking flights off-season to Prague is not so expensive, although I use Berlin a lot for trips to the UK (4 hours/20 euros bus trip from Prague either end)
Travel within Czech is ridiculously cheap and very decent.

I have also just posted a new event courtesy of Tim Wall for next year which I am hoping many of our players will play in. League matches are always available and as Robin said, weekenders are also there, although I know you and some others don't like the 2 games per day FIDE-rated aspect. In Czech, the 9-rounders almost always have one double round, the rest of the rounds being late afternoon single rounds per day.

Hope this helps,

Andy B

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria - by andyburnett - 09-10-2017, 09:37 PM