Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney Events 2018
At the 2017 AGM the following was announced: -

Glorney 2018.

Chess Scotland Management Board will put a working party (Glorney Committee) together to manage and organise at all arrangements for this event. The intention is to spread the workload away from a single individual.  This committee will be made up with CS Directors and, where necessary, volunteers (parents and others) with appropriate skills.  The members of this board will be announced at an appropriate time once the committee is complete and responsibilities are assigned.  Further details and updates will be posted on the Chess Scotland website as matters develop.

The Management Board met on 7th September and further details from this meeting on the Glorney 2018 will be announced in the coming days (once I get the minutes approved).

Jim Webster
Thumbs Up 
Jim,

Thanks for the update but I think we should dissolve the committee. Does anything ever get resolved by commitee anyways? They're just glorified talking shops, aren't they? "Meetings where minutes are taken and hours wasted" if you ask me!

Put Andy M in charge as he seems to have it all in hand anyway.

Keep up the good work!  Big Grin
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
The committee isn't just about selection, we need to look at venues, finding suitable accommodation for 6 countries, squad selections (for 4 different teams), budgets, organisation, squad training, manage timescales, communicate with 5 other nations. A lot more than should be put onto one person.

Meetings are where management teams communicate, and committees get help and support where needed - in theory anyway!
Taking nine days (so far) for some minutes to be approved doesn't appear to be a particularly good start for the committee.
(16-09-2017, 09:36 AM)robin moore Wrote: Taking nine days (so far) for some minutes to be approved doesn't appear to be a particularly good start for the committee.

I still have to finish writing them up, and it is the minutes of the Management Board I am talking about.

I forgot that I also have a life outside Management Board meetings - send memo to self! Must do better!!!
Smile
Well surely as we have known when we would host this for years in advance we will have booked a venue and accommodation?
Robin,

I know of no venue which will give you costs that far in advance. Many, ludicrously, will not confirm costs until March for the year starting in April. One venue I tried to hire recently would not even put a cap on the potential increase in price.

One chess event in England was left without a venue when the hotel was taken over and the new owners decided to refurbish. Another congress had to be relocated when the hotel announced its new fees.

It is also difficult to book something when you don't know what the numbers are. These were only 'confirmed' at the previous event.
Alex,

In the past Stirling University were very helpful in quoting for bookings and accommodation years in advance at extremely reasonable prices. The Glorney was very successfully run there in the past. I assume it must be the main contender and has possibly been booked for the event already?
Alex et al,
In private conversation, I believe that Stirling might be something of a back up option, perfectly OK, but I think there is a more exciting possibility out there. I hope that comes off and I hope the person involved has the freedom to get on and organise it; Sure there'll need help, but not to get bogged down on committees.
Nobody will be getting bogged "down on committees" - the idea is that everyone has a task/responsibility to do and is given the freedom to get on with it.  There still has to be a degree of accountability though hence the name "committee" and, overall the management needs to know what is going on and that timescales are being met.

We already have one deadline to satisfy - venue and suitable nearby accommodation MUST be in place by start April.

This is very much a team effort, it's not a talk-shop committee, perhaps I should rename it as a working group.  Being a group/committee also means that others can be called on to help each other out should the need arise and that it is in fact a group of people working hard towards a common goal.