Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quickplay
I think you may need to expand on that time control a wee bit. Is it an extra 15 minutes and then you lose on time or are the Quickplay finish rules in effect for the final 2 minutes? If the quckplay rules apply I assume you have a system in place for those claiming draws under the quickplay rules with no arbiter present.'
( post by John McNicoll)
These are indeed valid points but ones which I don't think I can make a determination on without consulting with arbiters on the matter.
I would actually be inclined to increase the number of required moves to 35 over 70 minutes with a 10-minute (rapid play finish) Most clubs will run for two hours and a 'bit' (roughly 7.30 to 10 pm) .
I accept that the extra 10 minutes may involve a 'spill' into a later time, so, perhaps, we need to look at Clubs opening a bit earlier or finishing a bit later on the night in question?
All else failing, play in a pub! Tongue
One argument for having games played in a Club venue is the likelihood that another person might be able to act, dispassionately as 'judge and jury' but, obviously, only with the agreement of both players.
While I am personally attracted to the idea of a 'quickplay' finish, I think the technical issue of arbitration
(as John implies) makes it more problematic.
A draw claimed that is disputed by the opponent can, of course, occur in traditional play also.
The options that I would ask arbiters to consider are:
(1) keep the current proposed 30-moves in an hour and 15 minute rapid play (no quickplay) as announced
(2) change over to 35 moves in 70 minutes with 10/15 minute rapid play (no quickplay)
(3) use either (1) or (2) with a quickplay finish
(4) none of the above ( and please state what)

The arbiter's opinions and assistance in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Chris 'Laidlaw'
Since the total time allowance for the whole game is greater than 14 minutes 59 seconds for each player, Law 10.2 (the two-minute draw claim rule) applies - and therefore so does the advice contained in the CS Rulebook for situations where no arbiter is present: a claim by either player in his/her final two minutes ends the game, and the tournament arbiter should be asked to give a decision. The tournament arbiter is either the tournament director (if he/she is a qualified arbiter) or a qualified arbiter appointed by the tournament director.

During the ten years or so when I was the tournament director/arbiter for the MacIsaac and Nancy Elder, I never once had to give a decision under Law 10.2 - that may give an indication that there is not a big problem here, though it is possible that with a much faster time control there may be more draw claims.

It makes no difference if you say "quickplay" or "rapid play" - Law 10.2 applies in exactly the same way.