Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The latest in Computer Cheating
X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(

As many of you will know having mobile phones with eye detection (for those who are not sure of what I am talking about, Samsung have a feature in the s4 and Note 3 that tracks where you are looking, it can dim the screen when you look away or scroll for you. I have it disabled as it drives me nuts!). Some smart &%$%&&/ยง has come up with an app that can be put onto Google Glasses (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Glass">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Glass</a><!-- m -->) so you can see where your opponent is looking and have it highlighted in the inside of your glasses.

As if cheating detection was not hard enough, some moron comes up with this!

:bash: :bash: :bash:
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I smell april fool especially after your facebook posting
Ian, this is a serious problem. Google Glasses are available for $250. They use the Android OS and are hard to distinguish between them and normal glasses. If you think i am kidding on about their existence google it for yourself!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
At least I have learned a lesson here. Don't make a serious post on April 1st....
In one game in which our club was involved, a 400 grading point miss-match was being played. The weaker player was creating all the winning opportunities. One of our players went to the toilet and heard this said "stronger Player" in the cubicle operating a mobile phone (yes you were caught) X( X( No names mentioned nor Club shamed. The reality is you CAN NOT stop this despicable behaviour. Perhaps he was just doing his E.T. and phoning home. Are we going to have to resort to searching players in order to ensure that they are not in possession of a mobile phone or similar device?

Who the cap fits, let them wear it.
In OTB Chess the biggest danger of cheating is not the actual cheating itself, but players' perceptions of who might be doing it and how widespread it is. If the misconception that cheating is widespread (which it isn't) becomes the general consensus among players then Chess is in big trouble.
I really should have posted earlier, yes it was an April Fool, for now! These glasses are capable of running a chess engine and we are going to have to find a way to combat them but they have not been released yet! Due out later this year.
Andrew McHarg Wrote:In OTB Chess the biggest danger of cheating is not the actual cheating itself, but players' perceptions of who might be doing it and how widespread it is. If the misconception that cheating is widespread (which it isn't) becomes the general consensus among players then Chess is in big trouble.
Andrew no one is saying that they think that the problem is widespread.
However, in the opinion of one individual, in this particular incident, they felt that someone was undoubtedly cheating. I stress that this is only the opinion of one person.
I do not even own a mobile phone so am unfamiliar with their bleeps and noises.
The fact still remains that in reality you can not be sure that someone who leaves the board frequently is not up to mischief. How many times is it deemed acceptable to leave the playing area in a 2 and a half hour game?
George, my comment wasn't in relation to the case you posted about. Big Grin

But I don't think a toilet visit limit should be imposed. It would be very difficult (or impossible) to enforce, and wouldn't reduce cheating by any reasonable margin anyway.
George Thomson Wrote:Are we going to have to resort to searching players in order to ensure that they are not in possession of a mobile phone or similar device?

According to the new rules of chess, I will need a pair of rubber gloves in my arbiters case just for this @-) :-? [-x