Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scotland V Basque Federation
I am not sure if the event Scotland have been invited to is the same event from 2003 and 2007. The Basque Chess Federation invite seems to be more of a commemorative nature although the dates do suggest that the format could be similar to the aforementioned Catalonia based competitions.
If I was going to have a guess at the competing teams, a Basque team, Scotland, Catalonia and Italy could be in the shake up.
Robin,

Why Italy?

Not sure that the ‘constellation’ you suggest would fit the (Referendum/Independence) script. First, the date of the tournament (29th November) post-dates a possible Referendum to declare independence in Catalonia that may take place on 9 November. But the Spanish government has ruled this illegal so that it may not go ahead. Otherwise, I could - doing a Nelson - see the contextual relevance of Catalonia. But, the dates don’t seem to gel?

Italy beats me.

Nevertheless, this headline in Sunday’s Observer would seem to lend weight to Derek’s general point that the media have ‘form’ when it comes to linking themes. Anything to sell newspapers etc.

After Scotland, now it's Catalonia's turn. But pro-union voices struggle to be heard

George
George,

From the invitation....

"The main event will be the tribute to the Basque Chess Selection of Chess,
with an International match of Main National Selections of Chess; in
commemoration of the match disputed in Azkoitia 09/12/1984 in which the
Basque Chess Selection of Chess was faced with Italy (EUS-ITA: 5'5-1'5)."
Quote:The main event will be the tribute to the Basque Chess Selection of Chess, with an International match of Main National Selections of Chess; in commemoration of the match disputed in Azkoitia 09/12/1984 in which the Basque Chess Selection of Chess was faced with Italy (EUS-ITA: 5'5-1'5).

We need to know if you would be willing to participate in the tribute to our selection with a match of main selections of Chess.

The Chess Festival will be held in Azkoitia, Guipuzcoa (Spain). The match against your selectión would be disputed on Saturday November 29, 2014.

It seems to be referring to one match (singular), which will take place on 29/11. That would suggest that this would be the only match that Scotland would play in and we would not be playing anyone else.

It seems a long way to go for one day's chess.
Fair point Derek.

Does Andy M or anyone directly involved have any updates?
George Murphy Wrote:Why Italy?

The Veneto region possibly? Wink
Robin,

‘From the invitation …’ Which seems to be full of gaps.

Andy M states at P4 that an International Festival of Chess will run from 27-30 November with Scotland scheduled to play on 29 November. On P6, you requested that a link to the event be provided so that details and costs be made available. On P6, Andy M stated that the Basque Federation did not have a website, but on the same page Andy B published the full text of the invitation (‘communique’), which simply refers to (the commemoration of?) the 30th Anniversary of the Basque Chess Selection, the main event of which will be ‘an international match of Main National Selections of Chess; in commemoration of the match disputed … on 09/12/1984 in which the Basque Chess Selection of Chess was faced with Italy’… This suggests a one on one match between two teams - not four. (I see Derek has already picked up on that.)

Whether or not the Catalonia model cited by Dougie at P8 is relevant is a moot point. But, I see that first Argentina and then Portugal made the ‘fourth team’. So, maybe Italy would not feature in the ‘Basque Chess Selection’? This is something that ought perhaps to have been clarified before accepting the invitation?

Current UK Government advice (dated 7 October) is that ‘Over 12 million British nationals visit Spain every year. Most visits are trouble-free. There is a general threat from terrorism.’ Read that as: It’s OK to go.

All in all, I think the political overtones adduced in this thread are over-stated. I’m sure Andy M took all that into account before accepting the invitation but is too self-effacing to let on. Wink

George
Hi Jonathan,

You may very well be right to think that (Veneto region), but I couldn’t possibly comment.

How did you find Hong Kong? I noticed you were playing there. Did you encounter the pro-Democratic Protests, or did you manage to miss them? First time in Hong Kong?

I tried to look up the HK International Open website but without success. Yet, earlier I had managed to find the Pairings for one Round.

Cheers,

George
George,

I must admit that the event details are a wee bit vague. I based my guess on the possible number of teams involved (four) on the dates pencilled in for the event (27th-30th Nov) but agree that Derek (one match only) could easily be spot on.

I have assumed that Andy M had full details of costs, travel and format of the event to hand before confirming our participation.
Had to lock the topics so I could split them. Both are unlocked now, Post away!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"