Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW Baku Olympiad thread!
Isn't John close to winning after 15. Rxf3? I don't see how Black can defend against Rh3.
Perhaps the lay-deees could give the boys some advice on how to break the yo-yo....
Can someone double check this for me? I am shattered after several long days of meetings.

I make it Andrew Greet needs a win v 2250 or above or a Draw v 2655 for a GM norm.

Can anyone double check the math for me :d

Cheers
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
For 2600 TPR after eliminating win vs 1940 I make it win vs 2384

Which is same conclusions since Philippines boards 1 and 2 are graded 2560 and 2492

Only a quick back-of-second hand post it note calculation

Can somebody check if Andrew has played players from enough federations?
Does he get more than one shot at it? I see we are Black against Philippines. We need our strongest team out as we have a real chance to get something from this match.
But is finishing 20 places higher more valuable than a 20 round GM norm for Andrew?
That's why I'm asking how many rounds the norm can be from....
As far as I know...

-Andrew has obviously played 8 different federations so far (it's the Olympiad)

-He can maybe afford to lose tomorrow and then win against a sufficiently high rated opponent in the final round and still claim the norm by dropping his round 1 opponent. The draw having been rather strange so far, however, means there is no guarantee of who we will play in the final round.

-A high finish for the team is very important, but I would swap a 'reasonable' number of places for Andrew's (double) norm!
It's not even just about a high finish. When was the last time Scotland beat a higher ranked team?

I forgot norms are worth double though - that's significant.

Might be worth checking the details then. Imagine not playing tomorrow and then facing a <2384 in the last round.
I asked Alex to double check. Looks like I have gone wrong somewhere (which is why I asked someone to check the math). To quote Alex "By my calculations you need to beat a 2634 tomorrow"

Damn I was getting hopeful there

However it is possible for a 10 round Norm if Andrew wins tomorrow and his R11 opponent is 2313 (we have both checked)
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"