Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson/Spens - what next?
Andy: I had actually thought that was already the setup and had assumed Edinburgh had qualified last year as winner of SNCL and Ed West as runners up in Richardson. I agree thats a good idea. I don't play in the Richardsons and will leave the competition format for those who do to debate.

To put a bit of focus on the Spens which our club made their debut in this season, I would like to see central venues. or regional group tables 4 groups of 4 teams would be great if we could get it, or 2 groups of 4. Odd numbers and 3 groups could be manageable also. Then central venues when you get to the knockout stage. I don't want to see it be a Sat/Sun all weekender, as the 1 day of chess is appealing and it is nice to still have a bit of your weekend. This would see an end to the plate (Rosebowl) competition.

The Spens this year wasn't really a Scottish wide event. it was 6 teams from the West and 2 from Lothian in the East. It would have been good to have seen North/Fife, and more East/Lothian representation. The interest I agree clearly has to be improved and formatting therefore must be more appealing to clubs.

Perhaps it is going to need i nvestment and CS taking a bit of a hit by means of making the competition free next year to kickstart the interest and retain the teams already playing in it. Please don't shoot me down for that idea, it is just a thought! As things stand I don't think our club will be entering again next year.

Messages In This Thread