Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson Cup
I have sent the following to Richardson Cup captains and Spens finalists:

With the current tournaments having been completed I ask that you indicate your preferences for some suggested changes to format to the Richardson Cup.

The following is a summary of suggestions:

• Open to the top 8 CS clubs, with play offs for relegation to the Spens with winner of the Spens being promoted; Or -
• 2 (or 4) groups of 4 all-play-all, and then semi-finals for group winners (and runners-up if 2 groups) and then a final.
• Clubs to be ranked according to the published start-of-season grading list according to the average grade of their top 8 players who have 10 or more rated games;
• Top 4 seeds not being paired together in first round and a complete draw made at outset (unless of course the group option is adopted);
• If more than 8/16 entries for the Richardson Cup, the unsuccessful clubs would be entered into the Spens Cup. Promotion/relegation to start at the end of 2014/5 season;
• Any club not fulfilling a fixture would drop automatically to losing play off fixtures;
• 5-board teams to help with car-sharing and encourage interest from smaller clubs;

The current rules can be found at:

http://www.chessscotland.com/membership/...pt2013.pdf

There has been no support for reduction of board numbers so this will remain as 8.

Please indicate your preferences with a ‘Yes’ against changes you wish to see. An absence of a ‘Yes’ I will take as ‘no’.

Number of clubs:
1. Maximum 16 clubs (as present but there were 10 this year.), or
2. 8 clubs
If there is a move to 8 any adjustment will be at the end of next season

Format:
1. Knockout (as present), or
2. Groups
Seeding (as described above)?

I ask that you consult with your club members so we get the widest range range of views. The suggestions listed above all came from Richardson Cup participants so there is at least some desire for change. So this doesn't drag on and to allow time to consider the detail of possible changes please reply by end of June.

If you have views on this please let your captains know.

Keith

Messages In This Thread