Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson/Spens results
Ok let me put this out there. I know of players whose clubs do not enter into so-called club competitions because the clubs don't see the value of entering into these competitions, but still due to the current rules these orphaned players cannot enter these team competitions because they are club affiliated. Add to that players who don't join clubs or are in the country as students and haven't located their local club. Perhaps the time has come either to divorce clubs from the competitions or be more flexible in their rules.

Adam is right in that we should be actively canvassing non-participating clubs why they don't enter. I'll think you'll find falling membership and increased participating costs ( not just entry fees but travelling etc ) being a major factor. Being positive for a moment it amazes me the increasing number of online players in Scotland which continues to rise in my opinion. Perhaps we should consider trying out online tournaments which would be cheaper and easier to run, using sites such as chess.com. You would find a new niche there and if chess Scotland took the lead and organised this , I'm sure it would be a success.

There is not just one solution to this. I also think support from our stronger players to non-participating clubs may also be an idea in both engaging these clubs and raising much needed funds

Messages In This Thread