Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson/Spens - what next?
This topic has stalled but, as there is a lot to be decided so I will restart with some thoughts about size and format of the Richardson.

Limit the Richardson to 8 teams (16 at present);
Abandon the knockout format;
Two groups of 4 teams, groupings drawn to avoid local teams in the same group as far as possible;
All-play-all, winners of each group to meet in a final;
Guarantees at least three matches, four for the finalists;
If adopted, in subsequent seasons home/away reversed.

For illustration, I have used the teams that entered the 2014-15 season, the same dates of the current calendar and grouped as suggested above -

Group 1:
Cathcart
Dundee
Glasgow Polytechnic A
Edinburgh

Group 2:
Edinburgh West
Bon Accord
Hamilton A
Wandering Dragons A

Match dates
29 Nov - Cathcart v Dundee, Glasgow Polytechnic A v Edinburgh,
24 Jan - Dundee v Glasgow Polytechnic, Edinburgh v Cathcart
14 Mar - Cathcart v Glasgow Polytechnic, Edinburgh v Dundee
25 April – Finals

If this, or something similar, finds favour then we can think about combined venues. By this I am not thinking central (Grangemouth, Stirling, etc) but perhaps venues in/near Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee that also could also host Spens matches at the same time. That's another topic.

The Spens could be run on similar lines but is a little trickier as we don't want to limit to eight, rather we need to encourage more entries; format of this needs more thought. And the Rosebowl must be included somewhere.

All of the above is intended as a starting point for discussion and is not intended as a hard-and-fast proposal.

Any and all opinions welcome, but please also get the thoughts of your club/team mates, those who don't take part in this forum.

Messages In This Thread