Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ayr 2015
As one of the other titled players who has entered, I feel I should comment regarding Andrew Greet's post.

In general I agree with Andrew's views on the distribution of prize-money - those playing the highest level of chess (even in a small pond such as Scottish chess) should probably receive higher prizes - but .... only where there is some form of sponsorship involved allowing the prize fund to be increased.

Otherwise, the entry fees (which titled players don't pay!) would be skewed towards the winners of the open - who for the most part don't provide anything for the vast majority of the lower-rated players.

It could be argued that having titled players in an event makes it more attractive for others to enter, but this generally only holds true in large Opens where norms can be gained.
Those playing in the minor/major etc. don't really benefit from the likes of me playing, and thereby taking a larger chunk of their entry home in prizes, except maybe to serve as an incentive to improve their chess, or if they have an altruistic approach to helping out the higher-rated end of Scottish chess (professionals/Olympiad players/etc)

My own reasons for playing Ayr (where, as Andrew Greet states, winning outright 1st would barely cover expenses for the weekend) are various...

a) I need to keep match-fit over these quieter months (no league chess, etc) in order to perform well in the summer/next season,

b) I want to support Scottish events whenever possible: no support=no event (see Dundee Allegro thread for this)

c) David Congalton, among others, is trying his hardest to ensure we all have events to play in and I am hopeful that if he gains enough support from the players in Scotland (of all levels) then in future he may be able to increase prize funds, introduce FIDE-rated events, revive defunct congresses, etc. For example,the Live boards and junior coaching with Andrew Green and Ali Roy are a good thing - perhaps such things could also be expanded to include simuls or talks through which 'titled players/'semi-'professionals' could increase their earning potential!?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it despite the likely hit to the pocket!

Messages In This Thread