Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAGNUS CARLSEN ON BBC’S ‘ONE SHOW’ TONIGHT
Craig Pritchett Wrote:This is, moreover, at a time, when I have just been informed that The Herald has finally axed its chess column, ending a distinguished history that stretches back to the later decades of the 19th century and the era of such luminaries as the then chess-internationally recognised, Sheriff Spens. We no longer have a chess column in any mainstream Scottish newspaper (discounting the likes of Ray Keene, in the 'Scottish' edition of The Times).

How do we promote the game in Scotland without the media?

Rather than quibble with the BBC about presentation to an audience that they clearly pitch to well (you can rarely argue with the editorial judgements of journalists who can reach '4-6 million' audiences every day of the week), drop a line of complaint to The Herald (Scotsman, Scotland on Sunday et al). Sell our Scottish game!

I have to disagree here Craig. Chess has more exposure than ever - the Internet is made for chess. I'd be interested to see a demographic of who actually still reads newspapers, let alone chess columns in newspapers.
As for Scotland, newsworthy events are few and far between. How about someone does something worth reporting on? Smile

Messages In This Thread