Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Largs T+C
Clement Sreeves Wrote:Unfortunately I won't be around for the Largs congress this year, it looks like a great event again. I did see the following in the terms and conditions though:

ANY PLAYER ACCUSED OF CHEATING WILL BE EXPELLED FROM THE EVENT IF THEY DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE ARBITER’S INVESTIGATION.

However there is no mention of any penalty for wrongly accusing someone of cheating. Cheating doesn't seem to be a problem in Scotland thankfully but this rule seems quite dangerous.

I agree, this confers too wide a range of powers, and could even put arbiters in a difficult position.

For example, a piqued opponent accuses an opponent of cheating in the toilet and badgers the arbiter into 'action'. The arbiter reluctantly asks the opponent to see what he has in his pockets, but is met with a refusal or even reluctance. This attitude may well be justified, as even 'a police 'stop and search' requires reasonable suspicion. The arbiter can now expel the player for 'non-compliance'' without any particular regard to the suspicion (there might actually be none) or the circumstances.

Of course I would hope most arbiters would behave more reasonably but the whole point of powers being sweeping is that they CAN be used unreasonably!

Some qualification of these powers is needed (eg appeals committee) and as Clement says, there should be a counterweight to ensure an accusation isn't made lightly. An unfair accusation could wreck a player's tournament and perhaps even sour their view of competitive chess.

Largs looks like being a terrific event though!
Cheers

Messages In This Thread