Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the point of the Scottish Championship?
There is not much that I disagree with in Jonathan's post.

I would be happy to see a 10 player All-play-all for the Championship and a strong Open tournament underneath it allowing title norm possibilities.   Ideally one or two of the places could go to players in the Grand Prix encouraging greater participation in Scottish Congresses.  This, of course would involve a significantly greater financial outlay than the current system.

About 2 years ago Ian Brownlee and I met with a professional fund-raiser to try to raise sponsorship.  That person subsequently had several meetings with the Board.  The end result is obvious.

Within the last few weeks Ian and I met with another professional fundraiser.  This person effectively rejected the invitation on the grounds that it would require too much work for too little reward to find a sponsor.

Almost all of the chess sponsorship I have been aware of has been as the result of a chess connection.  On two occasions this has been an historical association with chess by the company involved in another four cases it has been a high ranking official in the company who has been a former chess player.

I am more than happy to meet with anyone who thinks they can source finance for the Scottish.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the point of the Scottish Championship? - by Alex McFarlane - 29-09-2017, 08:29 PM