Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07/03/2012 - DISCUSSION of C.Sreeves vs A.Burnett
Imagine my shock as I came to innocently browse this forum and find some people talking about chess! This is a great idea and I'm thoroughly enjoying watching the game evolve (reminds me a bit of the old 'Mastergame' programmes). I'm more than a bit rusty so possibly my opinions here are off the mark but that's never stopped me giving them before!

I think Andy's ...c5 was a bit of a mistake. Although it did make the Bb2 look a bit silly for a few moves that was never going to last (and indeed it hasn't) - bishops can move back but pawn's cannot. It is a delicate balancing act in these positions to weigh up the advantage of further prophylatic moves versus starting some of your own counterplay and I would have preferred ...Ng4 in that position with the idea of following up ...f5. In general white will always be in command of the queenside so Black needs to get going on the other wing.

The current pawn structure seems to be in White's favour. He will have the open a-file and possibly b-file (if he wants to exchange on c5) along which to infiltrate Andy's position. Indeed, I dont think Andy will need to 'tempt' Clement into that - he'll be up that a-file like a ferret up a drainpipe. The big question remains: how is Black going to generate any counterplay here? Seems tricky.

Ok, haven't used my brain in a while, need to lie down now...very entertaining stuff guys, keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Keith

Messages In This Thread