Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council meeting???
(01-09-2024, 12:18 PM)Alex McFarlane Wrote: Ian,  I am always happy to answer questions from members.  I'm sure all members of the Management Board are the same.

Whenever you have an ongoing programme, by definition, there will always be outstanding matters.  I would be worried if there weren't.  The Olympiad has been more of a problem area this year than in the past.

With regard to "Since I am no longer on council, am I allowed to attend and/or participate."  On the assumption that this is a question, the current Constitution seems to be quiet on the matter.  However:
5.4. At Council, Management Board or Executive Committee meetings, voting is restricted to members of COUNCIL or the relevant Board or Committee and each member shall have only one vote unless under circumstances defined within the appropriate Operating Procedures.
would seem to imply that members and invited guests can attend, though the Constitution does not provide for their participation.

Operating Procedure 4 does not really clarify the matter.
The Chess Scotland Constitution can be interpreted that all meetings (which includes Council
meetings) are only open to members of CS. This may create difficulties where outside bodies
provide representatives to Council. 
This Operating Procedure thereby defines that Council members who hold Official positions or
are elected at the AGM (or SGM) as an Individual member must be fully paid-up  members (or
Life Members) of Chess Scotland AND retain that status for their tenure on Council. 
For members who are Club Representatives, League Representatives, and Affiliation
Representatives it is hoped that those selected will be members of Chess Scotland, but this is not
mandatory.  If a representative is not a member, then Council reserves the right to request the
Club, League, or Affiliate to select an alternative candidate (who also does not have to be a
Chess Scotland member).

I hope that answers your comment.

I would also point out that the business of the AGM is restricted to agenda items only.

Alex

Alex, extract below is indeed accurate
5.4. At Council, Management Board or Executive Committee meetings, voting is restricted to members of COUNCIL, or the relevant Board or Committee and each member shall have only one vote unless under circumstances defined within the appropriate Operating Procedures. 
would seem to imply that members and invited guests can attend, though the Constitution does not provide for their participation.

Requiring "invited guest(s)" who are that non-members implies that they can be asked to participate in the proceedings but not permitted to vote. They are solely there to offer expert opinions relative to a specific issue/topic only. 

Another quote is also indeed accurate 
"The Chess Scotland Constitution can be interpreted that all meetings (which includes Council meetings) are only open to members of CS. This may create difficulties where outside bodies"

However, the key definition is "members."  

Where you define "outside bodies" but this can only apply if a body delegate is not an individual member of Chess Scotland. All members have the right to observe Council proceedings. 
Of course, observers cannot take part in the discussions unless invited by the Chair to do so. I agree that are they not allowed to vote on any issue.

There have indeed been many earlier occasions where observers have been present, but admittedly not since COVID caused circumstances to change. 

Transparency is a buzz word that has been used in recent times and allowing members the right to observe Council proceedings is a case in point.  

After all we have nothing to hide from the membership.

Jim

Messages In This Thread
Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 29-08-2024, 05:51 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 01-09-2024, 11:48 AM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Alex McFarlane - 01-09-2024, 12:18 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Jim Webster - 01-09-2024, 01:06 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 01-09-2024, 01:23 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Jim Webster - 02-09-2024, 01:42 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Alex McFarlane - 02-09-2024, 08:30 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 02-09-2024, 09:15 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Alex McFarlane - 02-09-2024, 10:22 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 03-09-2024, 08:38 AM