Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council meeting???
Quote:Quote: A McFarlane
“it should be noted that this has been less of a problem in the current administration.”

I wish to bring to your attention that you were in fact an active, and attending, member of the Administration (Management Board) until, as Scottish Championship Director, resigned following issues raised following the 2019 Scottish Championships.
I should also point out the “administration” is not an individual by a collection of officials appoint to manage an organisation. Not one officer, including the chair/President, has authority over an organisation. It is managed by committee and decisions are a result of consultation.

Do two wrongs make a right?
The “current administration” is fractured with a minimal interaction with the Management Board (4 meetings in 2 years). Non-compliance with the constitution should have become your prime responsibility. Don’t blame others in the past, would it not be better taking ownership, in the present, of any perceived shortcoming and acting in a positive manner and deal with them. Blaming the past is not a way forward.

Modern technology allows for many informal meetings between those involved in sub-sections of the full committee. As long as those outcomes are reported at formal meetings this seems a much better way of conducting CS business.
Obviously, the membership needs to be informed but I feel quite confident that they prefer to know that the work is on-going rather than being delayed to hold a meeting

This quote directly contravenes the current constitution. See the quote below.
Quote:Quote: Minute of 2023 AGM Page 2
AMc We are bound by what is in the constitution.

“Is this really a significant deterioration from before my time in office?”

See statement above

Some fact checking now
Ian Brownlee, in his latest post, crudely made a point regarding the “missing” AGM. Let me do some actual fact checking on points raised.
“it is very annoying that the previous administration failed to actually hold an AGM one year,”

Fact Check #1
Quote:Statement on AGM (posted – Nov 2020)
With the current restrictions in place, it is simply impossible to have a face to face AGM at this present time. Management Board and Council considered the best way forward and it was determined that in November we would publish the Minutes, Annual report and accounts and at the first possible opportunity, whilst respecting the 6 week notification time, we will hold a formal AGM.

As soon as we are in a sufficiently low tier in 2021 to host an AGM, the remainder (motions and elections) will take place.

Link 1  https://www.chessscotland.com/news/agm-update/
Link 2  https://www.chessscotland.com/wp-content...tement.pdf
The deferred AGM meeting was then held on 31 May 2022
Link 3 AGM 2021 31-May-2022

You should also be aware that all notices regarding announcement of any AGM are the responsibility of the Executive Director in compliance with the constitution. However, you will see from these notices that these notices sought approval of the Management Board and Council prior to publication.

On 3 Nov 2021, the regular AGM was held as per the Constitution.
Link 4 AGM 2022  24-Nov-2022

Quote:Quote A McFarlane
“the previous Chair was in office for 7 years despite the constitution giving a maximum of 6”

Fact Check #2
This is both inaccurate and wrong.
I was elected at the 2015 AGM I was elected as President for a 2-year term as required under the then Constitution.
Incidentally – proposed A McFarlane, Seconded I Robertson
Vote count for President : Jim Webster 93 for, Ian Brownlee 36 for

Link #5 2015AGM.pdf (chessscotland.com)

In 2016 a new Constitution was in place and ALL director positions were reset to take effect going forward

Quote:Quote -- AGM 2016 calling notice
For Clarity after the change to the Constitution, the following positions are up for Election (along with the term of office. Please note we are splitting the terms to stagger the elections)

President (3 years)
 Executive Director (2 years)
 Finance Director (2 years)
 Admin Director (1 year)
 International Director (2 years)
 International Director (Junior) (1 year)
 Home Director (1 year)
 Home Director (Junior) (2 years)
 Marketing & Sponsorship Director (1 year)
 Arbiter and Rules Director (2 years)
This one-time anomaly resulted in the situation that the possibility of the 7-year tenure for the President could manifest itself.
Vote count for President – 36 for, 0 against, 1 abstention

At the 2019 AGM I was re-elected, in accordance with the rewritten Constitution, for a second term.
Vote count for President -- 58 for, 3 against, 5 abstentions

Fact Check #3
During the discussions and implementation of the rewritten Constitution that came into effect from 2016 onwards you actually participate as a nominated scrutineer being one of 3 delegated scrutineers for on behalf of the Constitution Working Party.

Additionally.
Since you were directly involved in the creation, scrutinising and implementation of the 2016 Constitution, I find it strange that you are now, potentially, promoting a new constitution with alleged shortcomings which you were already party to.

To close this post, I recommend that you actually take the time to read the linked contents referred to.

Jim Webster.

Messages In This Thread
Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 29-08-2024, 05:51 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 01-09-2024, 11:48 AM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Alex McFarlane - 01-09-2024, 12:18 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Jim Webster - 01-09-2024, 01:06 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 01-09-2024, 01:23 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Jim Webster - 02-09-2024, 01:42 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Alex McFarlane - 02-09-2024, 08:30 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 02-09-2024, 09:15 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Alex McFarlane - 02-09-2024, 10:22 PM
RE: Council meeting??? - by Ianbrownlee - 03-09-2024, 08:38 AM