Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct support for The Scotland Junior International Squad
Quote:Just a quick point on the Junior Internationals. It is without doubt that most of the juniors that attend the International events come back as better players. However, is it the participation or the daily coaching they get that makes the difference?
Jacqui Thomas

SImply not true. There is this myth that somehow going to international events is a short cut to finding the key to unlock the potential in players. It is hard work, good coaching and plenty of competition that does it. A number undoubtly do improve solely from attendance but surly the same could be achieved at alot less cost else where?

What we have lacked over quite a few years is any form of structure that players can engage in and which will develop them in a systematic manner that ensures that they have all the skills and not just raw talent. Th

Such structures exist in sports like cycling and swimming. Not sure what comes first - the money or the structure but I do suspect without such a structure it will be harder to attract investment.

Further more these sports require the players to achieve certainly well defined targets to qualify for events - and not just the elite events. You don't get to go just because you happen to be the best in your age group or country: you have to be good enough.

This does require a long term view, dare I suggest a five year plan?

I have no doubt that our juniors past and future are capable of learning the game and playing it as well as the juniors abroad but what they need to learn first is that it is a game that requires hard work and study.

Messages In This Thread