Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scotland V Basque Federation
We are still thinking of this match v the Basque Federation and costing it. How much did players have to pay on average for flights for the Club Cup ?
We are still thinking of this match v the Basque Federation and costing it. How much did players have to pay on average for flights for the Club Cup ?
amuir Wrote:We are still thinking of this match v the Basque Federation and costing it. How much did players have to pay on average for flights for the Club Cup ?

I hope there is no political agenda here.
George, the match is going ahead. What political agenda ? it's chess
amuir Wrote:George, the match is going ahead. What political agenda ? it's chess

Politics...chess...never happens...I forgot. Someone who previously declared he would stand as a Scottish Nationalist organizes a match with a region in another European country with a strong separatist agenda weeks after the Scottish referendum. Coincidence? Of course. No politics here!

I certainly hope not anyway.
amuir Wrote:We are still thinking of this match v the Basque Federation and costing it. How much did players have to pay on average for flights for the Club Cup ?
amuir Wrote:George, the match is going ahead. What political agenda ? it's chess
A sudden change in attitude in under 24 hours from "we are thinking about it" to "the match is going ahead". Has there been a decision made on the finances?
George Neave Wrote:

Politics...chess...never happens...I forgot. Someone who previously declared he would stand as a Scottish Nationalist organizes a match with a region in another European country with a strong separatist agenda weeks after the Scottish referendum. Coincidence? Of course. No politics here!

I certainly hope not anyway.

Actually we were contacted...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
The match may prove topical for the press both here and in Spain which might help chess with much needed publicity and funds.
It's patently obvious to anyone with a modicum of sense that is is a very, very bad idea.
George understands it. Why does Chess Scotland not seem to?

How remarkable.
Yet again I am utterly flabbergasted with the atrocious decision making.

amuir Wrote:The match may prove topical for the press both here and in Spain which might help chess with much needed publicity and funds.

Where does your thinking stem from? Are you serious? If it wasn't defamatory I would question your sanity.
And btw, it doesn't matter who contacted who.

You cannot control the media.
The media controlled publicity you will get will be dire. Along the lines of (but no doubt more incisive and pithy from someone whose job it is to write this stuff)...

"Would be Separatist states to join in battle"

"The chess playing federations of would be break away nations Scotland and the Basque region have decided to lock horns in a chess match."

"A unity to be found in a common cause, whilst battling against each other. How pertinent to the zeitgeist in each prospective new nation".

This is politics. Pure and simple.
You would be well advised to stay out of it.

Why were you approached? Doh.
To further their own agenda of course. Only a fool can't see that.
Kevin Mayo Wrote:If it wasn't defamatory I would question your sanity

Only a fool can't see that.

Taking two selective quotes in isolation here
& Speaking as an impartial observer.

Kevin,
You have, in my opinion been defamatory.

It is clear to me that you are questioning Andy Muir's sanity by a nudge nudge wink wink routine.

And then you continued by telling the readership that only a fool would disagree.

Referring back to Andy Muir’s actual actions - - -Potential Chess opponents should only in the most extreme circumstances be refused after taking into account political considerations and possible press write ups. All this criticism of Andy Muir, yet nobody else could be bothered to put themselves forward for the Adult International Directorship at the agm so he can’t be doing that bad a job can he?

Any one who disagrees with that last paragraph of mine is welcome to disagree. It would not make them insane or unbalanced or foolish