Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Championships 2024
Hi there,

Looking forward to seeing you all in Dunfermline for the start of this year's Scottish Championships on Monday. I have posted information on the 2 competitions commencing on that day (the International Open and the Weekday U1800 Congress) at the top of the Scottish Championships article on the Chess Scotland website frontpage:

https://www.chessscotland.com/news/scott...open-2024/

If you have any queries, please feel free to get in touch with Thor Saemundsson, Tournament Director through the Entry Form QR code, or alternatively his email is also available in the Chess Scotland website Contacts.
Thanks Ruairidh its going to be a very interesting champhionships and looking forward to the reports. However I cant find the links for the live boards, can you post the link here all the top boards I presume will be covered
(07-07-2024, 10:52 PM)Ianbrownlee Wrote: Thanks Ruairidh its going to be a very interesting champhionships and looking forward to the reports. However I cant find the links for the live boards, can you post the link here all the top boards I presume will be covered

Hi Ian,

The live board links are not up yet but we'll post them here and with the website information. I agree, it should be a really interesting championships - some of the match-ups in Round 1 even - worth a watch.
where is the draw I followed the link but It only gave me the entries, did I do something wrong?
I shall follow on line if someone gives link. Spectating at Dunfermline not good. Let's have a traditional Scottish Champs in Troon or St Andrews some time. I might chip in for cost of venue if someone looks into it
Hi all,

Link to the live boards below:

Scottish Championship International Open • Round 1 • lichess.org

(08-07-2024, 09:40 AM)Ianbrownlee Wrote: where is the draw I followed the link but It only gave me the entries, did I do something wrong?

If you follow the link, then click on Board Pairings

https://chess-results.com/tnr930623.aspx...art=2&rd=1
how did dougie bryson lose to andy burnett from that position ?
Skill!!
I think Dougie is playing out of his skin round 1 was a masterclass in endgames and round 3 was a demonstration of known opening preparation especially the typical exchange sac on e3 known by the majority of Stepps Chess Club. Round two was a blimp when Dougie was arguably in a better position, all I know is a loss in time.
I thought Alex McFarlane was the chief arbiter, if he is he shouldn't be commenting on a game albeit sarcastically, not professsional in my opinion Andy Muir, why arent you playing?
Andy Muir I've just heard from a most impeccable source at the venue that Dougie played a one move blunder that cost him the game, not his opponents skillset if you like phone me for details
I am not playing because I have better things to do. I would prefer a Troon/St Andrews venue. I usually do badly at Scottish. I can get intellectual satisfaction at work and get paid for it instead. I recently stood in UK General Election and I feel drained. Chess is a decent fair game while politics is immoral. That's why I decided to sponsor the team instead of spending my money on other things. Dougie's miniature was the highlight of round 3.